Friday, September 11, 2009

"Live everday like it was your last"

If I had to create a bumper sticker that modeled my philosophy for life, it would be "live everyday like it was your last". Usually people like enjoying their lives, not many people like to just sit around and do nothing. People value their lives greatly because you only live once. Nobody wants to die not having lived up to what they could have been.
My grandfather was a hard working man. He had a huge heart. As my dad went through school, my grandfather would sell and give up anything he had to make sure his son got his education. He would sell such things as his watch, his television, or even his motorcycle. He'd do anything to make sure my dad attended school and wouldn't have to do the same thing for his kids. The one mistake that my grandfather did make was that he didnt enjoy his life. Before he passed away about 5 years ago, he told me to "live everday like it was your last" because he didn't. He wished he did everything he did and could have still enjoyed life and managed his time wisely. He would tell me not to give up on anything and never regret anything i did. He'd tell me to get my education while I have the chance and to make sure I keep up with my responsibilities. My grandfather grew up without a father so he had to take responsbility of everything at a young age. His mother and his 2 younger brothers were the only people important to him. All he did was work and bring home money to make sure they got their educations, then later did the same for my dad. He also told me that he doesn't regret anything he has done but he just wishes he had worked harder so that he could have enjoyed life more then he had. My grandfather is the person who inspires me to be who I am and much more. I love having a good time, who doesn't? I make sure education comes first though because it is the most important thing to have if we want to enjoy our life in the future. My grandfather told me that it is important to work hard now and get my education so that later I would have the money to go out and explore the world.
Life comes at you fast, so make sure you make the best of it. You never know when your last day is going to be so enjoy it now but at the same time make sure you keep up with school and your other responsibilites such as work, and house duties. Those are all important things because you can live up to be 20 or a 100, but if you do live up to a 100 then you want the money so that you can continue enjoying life. If their are any dreams that you have, then chase after them. Do what you have to do to make sure you get to live that dream. You may have more then one shot at it, but you'll never know when it'll be your last!

16 comments:

  1. I think we all should live each day like it was our last, too. well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great motto, this one hits close to home, there has been a few times in my life I thought it was my last day. It's important not to live with regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the story about your grandfather. It is always wise to listen to people who have lived a full life because they have hindsight. When we are young we think we know everything but years later we will realize that we were being cocky and missed out on alot. "Live every day as if it was your last" will probably help you enjoy life, but when you stop and think about it, it will also help you live a very honest and proud life, you don't want to be remembered as doing something really bad on your last day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good phrase nothing is ever set in stone live each day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this...I think it's important to be always taking each day as a gift. Escpecially given what others have to do to give you the things you have. Ie - your grandfather and your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very true quote. you never know what could happen, so you got to live life to the fullest and as if it was your last.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vishal,
    this is one of my favorite quotes. Tommorow is not guaranteed, so it is important to treat everyday as it is your last.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good advice your grandfather gave you because we might not be alive tomorrow so we should do as much as we can to impact the next generation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is good advice. Your grandfather was a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a good philosophy it is important to get as much out of each day because you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad you chose to listen to your grandfather's adivce.He is completly correct about living like its your last day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A philosophy I strongly believe in. No point in having regrets for things you chose not to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with that.your philosophy is the means to living life to the fullest

    ReplyDelete
  14. My man Vish... this philosophy is awesome. I can relate to it as well because my family has done the same for my brother and I, but on a smaller scale. Your philophy has reminded me how important family is to me too. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Because evryday very well may be your last... Awesome philosophy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good motto man, that is one of my few fears, going through life without pursuing all of my dreams.

    ReplyDelete